martes, 26 de febrero de 2008

time went by and I couldn't sleep...

Sunday, February 24th

I am so sleepy... the afternoon grogginess is slowly spreading to every limb of my body as I lay in bed. So, so sleepy now. I cuddle up between my blankets and realize I am writing a poem in my head. Poetry about being sleepy and wanting to dream. (sigh).. but sleep doesn't come. My mind is awake, and my imagination is on a buzz. I can't hush it. I start thinking of all the things I need to do before I go. I imagine folding things in piles, squeezing things into tight spaces in my duffle bag. I imagine the scale on which the duffle bag will sit. I imagine numbers, BIG numbers.. and then I repack in my mind. Less books? Less shoes? Less.. less.. less.. until there is nothing left. I pack almost nothing and think I will buy everything in Morocco! Then I scratch the idea and start all over again. I imagine jetlag and many, many people.. and then the call to prayer chiming out of the minorettes. People talk to me and I stare with a small helpless smile. I am wishing I could understand and I know that if it goes on ANY longer I will answer the call to prayer and ask instantly for the gift of toungues!.. You see, I cannot hush it. I say "ssshhh- imagination, sleep". "Sleep by my side and I will give you a gift when we wake up, I will maybe even let you paint!".. But she is so rebellious... and continues. So I don't sleep, I laugh instead and think: "thank GOD for my sense of humor- it will save me from many lonelinesses". I think about what a nice sunny day it is and how the sun is going down later, how I am having the sensation that it's warm outside and that I should go out. But I remember with a pang that it isn't warm at all. It is virtual sunshine. I watch the sky and smile because she has her as company.. I understand what friendship is. But theeeen.. I remember my sleepiness. I decided to share my "imaginings"- sleep can wait, once more.

2 comentarios:

anna dijo...

querida Eli! seniorita de los cuerpos de paz!!! it was so good to see you at the Daudt's when you visited last time. thank you so much for letting me in on the email update and on your blogs! i love your imaginative writings and how i can actually hear you in my mind's ear telling your own imagination to go to sleep. but i'm glad it didn't obey you before you wrote this post. ;-)
i am praying for you as you get ready and will remember you as you travel!
paz y amor, mi amiga
[anna perkins]

Unknown dijo...

Dear friend!
I wish you the best, in the 1st part of a dream that it´s becoming true.
I hope you can find yourself there, learn a lot about all the new things you are going to live and learn... get prepared for new things... you will start a new phase in your life, a unique experience as a part of your personal and professional growth, that will open many doors for you, some good some not, but nothing is perfect, this is part of your maturity and you will see things from a different perspective...open your mind and think positive, everything will be alright...anyway, GOD is always present in every step you take...I´m also present in every step of this dream...

I love you!!!!

Ma'a elsalama

Lucre G.

P/S: me costó un monton escribirte en inglés...así que sorry si hay algun error...pero hay que practicar!